Saturday, May 09, 2009

Tribute by Nora Roberts


Teaser: Cilla McGowan, former child star, has finally escaped the Hollywood life and now makes a living as a "home flipper." She decides that it may be time to set up roots and buys her grandmother's old, damaged farmhouse out in Virginia.

She gets straight to work with the renovations, and even becomes good friends with her closest neighbor, professional graphic novelist, Ford. As they begin to get closer, strange things start happening to Cilla. Someone cuts down her trees, paints graffiti on her property, smashes her new tile-work, and even destroys her truck. It is clear that someone wants Cilla out of Virginia and will go to desperate lengths to remove her.

Short Thought: A wonderful murder mystery that spans 3 generations. A pleasure to read from the first page on.


Expanded Thoughts: I have to admit that I wanted to read this novel after I saw the Lifetime movie on television.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was afraid that it was going to have those annoying, over-descriptive, sex scenes, but it was very tame and fit the story quite nicely. The relationship (Ford and Cilla) in the novel was actually fun to read and developed to new levels as the story progressed. (What can I say? I have a thing for the traditional country boys.)

What also makes this story unique is the fact that the crimes have actually affected the three generations of the family. Cilla has to find out about her grandmother's past to save her own skin.

I look forward to reading it again in the near future. This novel has opened my mind to more 'Chick Lit.'

No comments:

Post a Comment