Sunday, May 10, 2009

Wicked Gentlemen by Ginn Hale


TEASER: Two unlikely partners, Belimai Sykes and William Harper, try to get to the bottom of a spree of crimes. They come from completely different worlds, but they quickly find out they can only trust one another.

Short Thoughts: Interesting world and characters, but appeals to a very select readership.

Expanded Thoughts: Well, what can I say? This was my "side of the bargain" for making my dear friend read The Aeneid (for fun!) a month ago. (Yes, I actually dig Virgil. Yes, I really do scare myself when I think that.)

She's been trying to get me to read alternative pairing fantasy, and I, with my open-minded goodness, decided to cave in. Here's how she sold the first book from her collection to me. "Jenn, you'll love it! It's a steampunk-esque, police procedural with some Gothic fantasy (holy literary genres, Batman!) thrown in! It will be your new favorite!"

What she neglected to tell was that it was like 200 pages of confusing, under-developed frustration. I think if you added an additional 250 pages, it would have been quite genius. I just get frustrated books who introduce these wonderful characters and then don't take them to different levels

It also seemed to fit with the theme that is in a lot of Japanese "bishounen" (pretty boy) stories. It had the dark-haired evil guy paired with the tall, blonde, good guy. It's a tradition and popular theme of MxM story lines, I have been informed.

The gay relationship in the novel didn't bother me a bit. In fact, it added something new and different to a genre that is sometimes teased for being too homogeneous.

Additional Notes: This novel contains BL (Boys Love, Yaoi, MxM, gay relationships)

No comments:

Post a Comment