Thursday, May 07, 2009

The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima


Teaser: Sometimes described as the Japanese version of Romeo and Juliet, this novel centers around the budding relationship of two teens in a remote fishing village off the coast of Japan. It brings the reader back to the time of their teenage years when they embarked upon their 'first love.'

One day, Shinji, a poor teenage fisherman, spots a beautiful pearl diver out on the beach. The girl gets stuck in his thoughts, and Shinji finds himself 'head-over-heels' in love with her. Hatsue, the beautiful pearl diver and daughter to the town leader, finds that she has the same feelings for Shinji but her family disapproves. Soon, awful rumors start spreading about Shinji, and it seems that they have to fight to pursue their love for each other.

Short Thought: The imagery is beautiful, the characters are great, and the message is there.

Expanded Thoughts: This story is a classic, coming-of-age, love story. It's a true teenage love vs. the world. It is a very enjoyable, simple, and short read by a fantastic and notable author.

Additional Notes: This read was actually very special to me. I originally read this book in the fifth grade (checked it out when I visited the High school library). It was one of the books that got me interested in Japanese language and culture. For years, I had forgotten the name of it (I only remembered the fish on the cover) until one day I happened on it on amazon.com while searching for another book. I ordered it immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment