Saturday, May 02, 2009

The Road by Cormac McCarthy


Teaser: A father travels through the dusty remains of our once great country with his son at his side. He is desperate to survive and protect his son as they journey to find the shelter of the 'good people' camp.

There is no food, clothing, or shelter, but there are plenty of dangerous happenings around every corner. All the boy has is his place under his father's wing, but as the journey progresses he must watch that place slowly deteriorate. There is no border between the land and hell, but that is all the boy has ever known and things will only worsen.

Short Thought: Different, sad, and tugged at the heartstrings.

Expanded Thoughts: What can I say? This was unlike any novel I have read in recent memory. Did I like it? I'm still not sure. Could I have done without it? Certainly. Did it enrich me in some way? Absolutely.

The way the man acts toward his boy is heartwarming, to say the least. I found myself welling up at times (not an easy feat, I tell you). Unfortunately, that is all there is to the book. It was a short read that took me a couple hours to read and never pulled any twists.

The only reason I probably rated it as high as I did is that fact that I'm a 'daddy's girl.' It's plain and simple. Seeing the way the boy thought of his father puts the reader back into their childhood and makes one think of their parent(s).

Was it a good story? Yes. Did it do anything outstanding for me? No. I would probably read it again just because it is like a gory Hallmark channel movie in a compact, simple package.

Note: This novel does contain a mild amount of gore, violence, and hard situations. It's not for the light at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment