Tuesday, August 04, 2009

When Gods Die: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries 2


Pages: 400 (MM Paperback)
Year Published: 2007

Teaser: At a important banquet, a noble woman is found murdered with a dagger stuck in her back. What's worse is the Regent is found in a drunken stupor next to her body. The Regent's men immediately go to work to cover up the incident. Unfortunately, Sebastian takes a personal interest in the case when he discovers that the necklace found on the corpse was the same one his mother was wearing the day of her mysterious death. He refuses to back down until he gets to the bottom of the situation no matter how much dangerous.

Short thought: A wonderful, historical mystery with powerful characters and an intricate and ever-developing plot.

Expanded thoughts: I dare say that I am slowly becoming obsessed with this series. What makes me love it? It has a great main characters, a voice that isn't geared to a gender specific audience, a great adventure filled plot, and mystery that isn't predictable in the least. It also is fun for me because I don't know anything about Victorian England. So, it's like being opened up to a new world.

As I've mentioned in other posts, I find it hard to express my thoughts without giving spoilers. And I HATE to give spoilers. (Because if you are looking for a book to read, I don't want to ruin it. Why read it if you already know what happens?) So, I'm just going to discuss one item in about this book, and then close this post out.

A new level/depth/dimension was added to this book that made it way better than the first. Sebastian now lives in a country that is on the verge of civil war. There is this underlying tension that is ever-present in this novel that effects every fiber of the characters' beings. Basically, no one can be trusted anymore. You have the supporters of the current monarchy (including the crazy, drunk, and king-to-be prime murder suspect), the supporters of the French, and those wanting revenge for Ireland (best as I can understand, a Catholic v Protestant deal). It just makes this case that Sebastian works on very sensitive and very dangerous. He can't be sure if the murder is political or personal. What's even more nail-biting is that Sebastian can't be sure of the people closest to him. Not even his beloved Kat.

This series was recommended to me, because I was trying to branch out from historical fiction centered in Asian countries. I thought that it would be okay, but not great because I hadn't studied the period that it is centered around. Well, I was wrong. I loved the first book, and this one was even better. I can't wait to start the third one.

Additional Notes
: There are scenes that contain a tad bit of descriptive gore.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenn

    I can't find an email address for you, so please forgive me intruding on your comment wall. I’d like to invite you to write about your favorite books at www.bookdrum.com, where you can add information, images, video, music and links to illustrate and explore the books.

    Right now, we're running a $3,000 Tournament and we'll be offering contract work to the best entries.

    Best wishes

    Hector Macdonald
    Editor, Book Drum

    ReplyDelete