Wednesday, May 06, 2009

What Angels Fear: Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries 1



TEASER: In 1811, in the heart of an English chapel, a beautiful woman is found brutally raped and murdered. Her body is left splayed out across the altar.

All signs point to Count Devlin, Sebastian St. Cyr, as the culprit. He was rumored to have had an affair with her and a gun with the inscription of his status is left beside her body in a pool of blood. The authorities move to arrest him immediately.

After barely escaping, Sebastian realizes that the only way to escape the noose is to find out who actually killed the poor woman and why.

Short Thoughts: Fun, easy to read and follow, original, and it keeps you guessing the murderer's identity until the very end.

Expanded Thoughts:This is my attempt at branching out from historical fiction set in Asia and from fantasy novels. This mystery takes place in Victorian England and centers around a interesting male character by the name of St. Cyr.

This was one of the best mystery books I have read in a while. It was like an adventure ride in which a sprinkle of Sherlock Holmes was thrown.

I was worried at first, because my knowledge of Victorian England could fit on the first page of a pamphlet, torn in half. But I was pleasantly surprised, it had adventure, love, interesting characters, and I couldn't figure out who the perp was until the end. (I enjoyed it so much that I didn't cheat and flip there like I do with boring mysteries.)

I look forward to continuing with this series. It wasn't too girly; it wasn't too masculine; it was just the perfect balance that anyone could enjoy.

Additional Notes: This is the first novel in the Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries by C.S. Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment