Thursday, May 14, 2009

Dragonflight: Dragonriders of Pern 1


Teaser: A young woman bitterly seeks to claim her meager place in the country that once betrayed her. Little did she know that fate would soon intervene. She is soon swept away and placed in the company of the fabled 'dragonriders.'

She has been chosen to be the new weyrwoman, the caretaker of a female dragon, and must raise her dragon to be the mate of the leader, alpha dragon. The woman is overwhelmed but accepts her position, and she begins to lay out plans of her own.

Short Thought: A classic favorite for many fantasy readers. Very unique and vivid setting.

Expanded Thoughts: So a friend of mine has been hounding me to read this series for years. I thought I would finally oblige him. From what I am told Mrs. McCaffey has more fantasy lit cred than Piers Anthony, so I had to finally try it.

I won't lie; I hated this novel the first quarter of it. Perhaps it was the dated syntax or the complicated world, but it just didn't have that magic spark for me. But once the world became clearer to me, I actually enjoyed it, and what a genius imagination this author has! I would have never thought that concepts like this could exist or be created!

For the genre (classic, epic fantasy), it was brilliant, but I gave it a lower rating than most because I am just not a huge fan of this style of fantasy. It's a little too dry for my soap opera-y side, but I can clearly see why so many people have fallen in love with this series. Who knows, maybe in the future I'll conquer the rest of this series. I would almost bet on it at my creepy, fast readin' pace.

Additional Notes: this is the first novel of the Dragonriders of Pern series

No comments:

Post a Comment