Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Battle of the Hammer Worlds: Helfort's War 2


Teaser: Michael Helfort has finally recovered from his last mission and has been assigned to a new ship. He runs into nothing but trouble with his new superiors, and is even held on false criminal charges. Unfortunately, that is just the beginning of his troubles. His ship runs into trouble and he finds himself, and the rest of his crew, captured in an enemy prison camp. What's worse is that the man in charge of his torture is familiar with his name and is determined to break him in any means necessary to obtain information.

Short Thought: This totally can't be a sci-fi space opera, I completely loved it! It wasn't boring, too complicated, or linear. Can't want until the next one!

Expanded Thoughts: The first novel in this series confused me, and I found it hard to follow. But I'm so glad that I decided to read the second one. It was awesome! It was possibly the best space opera, sci-fi novels I've read! (I usually find space operas dry and boring).

The main character, Helfort, is a very complex and human character. We get to see him harmed and forced to make questionable choices while there are forces and enemies at work against him. The other characters are equally complex or interesting. I actually found myself hating certain characters and 'rooting' for others.

If you want to read a space opera/sci-fi book, that actually has a character-centric story, this is definitely the series. It has changed my view of this genre a bit. I can't wait for Book 3!

Additional Notes: This novel contains scenes of mild violence and torture.

Additional Notes (2): This is the second book in the Helfort's War Series by Graham Sharp Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment