Friday, June 05, 2009

Living Dead in Dallas: Sookie Stackhouse Series 2


Teaser: Sookie's new adventure kicks off with a bang. The wonderfully flamboyant Lafayette is found dead inside of the car of Andy Bellefleur. Barely recovered from the horrors that have touched down recently in her life, Sookie is shocked when no one in the town cares to investigate or even name a perp.

To complicate things, Sookie is being asked (as if she had a choice) to Dallas by a member of the vampire hierarchy. She goes there, much to her dislike, as Bill's pet with a gift. She's to use her rare telepathic abilities to find a missing vampire, but the Dallas vampires are skeptical of her skills. As Sookie tries to stay on their good sides, she finds that going to Dallas may have just put her closer to Lafayette's killer.

Short Thought: A nice continuation of the series that spans several genres.

Expanded Thoughts: So, what can I say? I talked about reading the first of this series recently on here. I enjoyed it so much I decided to continue with the second in the series.

What is lovely about this novel is: easy, quick, dark plots, entertaining characters, conversational read, gritty, and sexy.

What I could have done without: half the romance (I'm not a big fan of detailed romance scenes), the inconsistencies with the previous novel, and some of the cliched bits.

In summary, despite the few cons about these, I am totally hooked on them. They are some of the most entertaining novels I have read in awhile. And really, who doesn't like the main character to be a underestimated small town southern girl with the strong personality to match? I was afraid that I would hate these novels, because I CANNOT stand Buffy the Vampire Slayer (or any of those fantasy soap operas), but I was pleasantly surprised in that it was nothing like it.

Additional Notes: This novel contains violence, dark themes, and sexual themes.

Additional Notes: This is the 2nd novel in the Sookie Stackhouse Series. (Previously known as the Southern Vampire Mysteries.)

No comments:

Post a Comment