Friday, June 05, 2009

Fearless: The Lost Fleet: Book 2

(Jack Campbell)


Teaser: Captain 'Black Jack' is faced with even more adversity in his continued mission to get his battered and inexperienced fleet back to base. If the constant waves of enemies ships weren't enough, he finds out that he has even more dangerous enemies in his own fleet.

Short Thought: An entertaining space opera with a painfully slow and redundant plot and main character. A mirror of the first one.

Expanded Thoughts: Can I just say that the guy on the cover looks like a young Christopher Walken? I just had to get that out. I had to do a triple take when I first saw it.

This novel was exactly like the first one. The plot was the same. The dialogue was the same. (The main character uses some phrases 10 times in the book!) The story also didn't really progress anywhere. I almost felt like I could have just skipped this one.

I must say though, Jack Campbell is awesome at describing the battle sequences. I don't know anything about the Navy, space, or any of that, and I find it easy to understand what is going on. It is a joy to read. Most sci-fi does this very poorly. They either drag it out forever or don't describe it at all. This author gets it perfect.

Another thing that I love about this series is that it isn't over complicated. (At times, I actually wish it was a little more complicated.) You're not bombarded with numerous characters and political figures. It is kept very tidy. It goes for the epic feel without the confusion.

I have faith in this series and will stick to it in hopes that it does actually go somewhere. So far, we pretty much where we started.

Additional Notes: This is the 2nd book in the the The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell.

No comments:

Post a Comment