Thursday, June 11, 2009

An Ice Cold Grave: Harper Connelly Mysteries 3


Teaser: Harper and Tolliver are in the Carolinas in the cold, bitter winter as a last ditch effort for the local police department to find out what has happened to a mess of teenage boys. Could it be a serial killer, or something even more twisted? Also, what of Harper's developing feelings for her stepbrother?

Short Thought: Different tone than the other novels. I miss the old tone.

Expanded Thoughts: [Spoiler Warning] There were a lot of major changes to the flow of the story in this novel. I'm not sure I liked them. Yet again, another one of Ms. Harris' books have turned a little too "romancy" for me. It is still very entertaining; the author does chic lit mystery like no other. Overall, it's still good, but not as good as it was at the beginning. The mystery was still brilliant, but the new 'stepbrother/sister' love dynamic made me a little sick. I don't care if they aren't blood, it still made me my stomach punch itself.

One thing that I really enjoyed about the first novels was the sweet (NON-FREAKING-SEXUAL) brother and sister relationship Tolliver and Harper had. (Little did I know just how much and how vulgarly they cared for one another) It was different than the other novels that Harris puts out. (They can get a bit redundant when you read them close together.) I was looking forward to the two of them traveling and hooking up with interesting people on the road, but I guess that's why I'm not the author.

I will probably read more of these in the future, but it's definitely not a priority. Great mystery, but scary. awkward romance.

Additional Notes: This novel contains scenes of a sexual nature, and scenes of mild violence.

Additional Notes (2): This is the 3rd book in the Harper Connelly Mysteries by Charlaine Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment