Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Soldier King: Dhulyn and Parno Series 2


Teaser: Dhulyn and Parno run into trouble when they go to deliver a royal prisoner to his captors. By mercenary standards, the prisoner is not to be harmed after they turn him over. The job is never that easy, and the paired mercenaries find themselves personally handling the prisoner.

It is especially trying for Dhulyn and Parno's partnership. The land they have to travel to is part of Parno's noble past. When he is given the opportunity to have his nobility reinstated, Dhulyn can't help but feel nervous.

Short Thought: A great, classic-style fantasy adventure with very interesting characters.

Expanded Thoughts: This novel was a great adventure. It is a nod to the fantasy styles that overran the 1980s, but it has a wonderful contemporary voice that makes it refreshing and different.

We get a picture of Parno's past in this novel, and a deeper understanding of Dhulyn's gift. As the setting develops more and more, I can't help but be immensely intrigued.

[Spoiler Warning]

My only real gripe is that the relationship between the characters confused me in this one. In the first novel, Parno is 'working out his kinks' with bar maids. He and Dhulyn were like family. It didn't seem to me that they were romantically involved. In this one, all of a sudden, those pet names they call each other have new meanings. They are like a married couple. I like both dynamics, but I just wish I knew which one is true. I can't imagine both being true, but maybe I'm just crazy. I just hope that this doesn't turn into a romance novel. There's enough of those out now.

Additional Notes: This is the 2nd book in the Dhulyn and Parno Series by Violette Malan.

No comments:

Post a Comment