Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Cast in Courtlight: The Chronicles of Elantra 2


Teaser: As the Hawks are busy preparing for a huge festival to take place, Kaylin is stuck learning magic from a dragon with no sense of humor. She finds it boring and over her head. But her boredom doesn't last long, though, as she finds herself swept up deep into the ancient Barrani high court. A Lord of the Court seeks her help and grants her privileges despite her standing with the enemy, outcast lord Nightshade. All these "privileges" come with a price as she finds herself faced with new problems and the dark ghosts of her past.

Short Thought: Adventurous fantasy story with a splash of political intrigue.

Expanded Thoughts: I was "iffy" about this series after the first book, but I found it entertaining so I thought I would give it a try. After I finished reading it, I thought that it was okay.

One of my main problems is that some of the characters are weak, flat, or annoying, namely the main character. Call it preferences, but I like a strong, well-meaning, complex, ever-ready main character. This main character is ignorant, naive, stupid, unyielding, narrow-minded, and self-centered. Maybe the author is gearing up for a huge character growth in her, but now it is just annoying. The pace is strange, and I found a lot of the humor predictable, and not funny.

There are a few things about this novel that I love. A few of the minor characters are brilliant, deep, and mysterious--Nightshade, HawkLord, Anteela, and Catti. Some pieces of the plot are delicious and are frequent enough to keep you hooked. The story is revealed slowly and not too rushed.

What can I say, I am a sucker for entertainment. I prefer a good entertaining book over TV, so I will continue with this series at least for the next couple books. Hopefully, by then, I will finally get a feel for this author's style and flow.

Additional Notes: This is the second book of Chronicles of Elantra by Michelle Sagara.

No comments:

Post a Comment